Fives launches a new company to offer its Mexican customers competitive, high-performance grinding solutions
Press release - Paris, October 24, 2018
Fives has joined forces with Simsa to create Fives Grinding Mexico. This new company will boost the local presence of the Group’s Grinding | Ultra Precision business, which supplies grinding systems, mainly for the automotive industry.
A closer relationship between two historic partners
Simsa is a Mexican company which specializes in rebuilding machine tools, mainly for the automotive and aerospace industries, and in providing related services. For over two decades, Fives has worked with Simsa to develop its machine offer in Mexico.
A local presence to bring industrial players increasingly tailored service offers
Fives and Simsa recently joined forces to offer Mexican industrial players direct support for machine performance optimization:
- modernizing full production systems, including production of commodity machines to complement the process equipment already offered by Fives;
- service solutions throughout the machine lifecycle: optimization of operations and modernization, maintenance, diagnostics, and training.
The new entity created through this partnership, Fives Grinding Mexico, will have fifteen employees recruited from Simsa and based in Aguascalientes. The site will host a design office and a 2,500 m2 workshop with the measurement and inspection equipment needed to certify the modernized machines. It will work closely with Fives Landis Corp. (US) and will share its design capacities.
Fives is a favorite machine tool provider among Mexican industrial players: the Group has supplied over 120 camshaft or crankshaft grinders, centerless grinders, double disc grinders, cylindrical grinders, etc. in the country under the Landis, Giustina and Daisho brands.
Mexico: a dynamic market for the competitive solutions developed by Fives
Mexico, with a population of 120 million, is the second biggest economy in Latin America and stands out on the continent for its stability and regular growth (+2% in 2017 - source COFACE). It is the 7th global automotive industry player, producing 3.7 million vehicles in 2017.
A major market for automotive parts makers
An electromobility market with strong growth potential is also emerging in the country (data from BusinessFrance). Fives serves the Mexican automotive industry through three businesses:
- Grinding | Ultra Precision (grinding solutions), recently strengthened by the creation of Fives Grinding Mexico,
- Automation (automation systems) under the brands CentriSpray, CFC, Cinetic, DyAG and ETFA;
- Filling | Sealing (filling and sealing systems).
Fives: a partner to Mexican industries for over 20 years
In addition to these activities, Fives is a partner for numerous other Mexican industries, for which it designs and supplies:
- turnkey plants and key process equipment for cement, sugar and glass production. The Group has also supplied plants or workshops for cement manufacturers LafargeHolcim, Elementia and Cruz Azul;
- combustion equipment and systems and dedicated tube production equipment, mainly for the oil and gas industry;
- complete automated sorting solutions, and more.
Fives has been developing projects in Mexico for over five decades and started local operations in 1998. The Group currently has 120 employees in the country.